Sunday, April 1, 2007

Pune Visit

1st April, Not a fool's day at all for me at least coz I'm returning back to Mumbai after excruciating 10 days in Pune. So much so for having a good time here, I ended up working from 10AM to 2AM every day without fail including the much celebrated Sundays. But in a way the amount of work I did and the learnings I had, it offsets all the discomfort that I might have faced. Soon I may actually be called Key Account Manager (loading unloading trucks) in fact.

This city has supposedly the best climate after Bangalore. Not true if you were to take my experience as the test sample. Obviously it may be too small a sample for statistical significance but for me that's the only one. And 10 days with temperature hovering between 38-40 degrees certainly doesn't make your work at a distribution centre easy. But yes this city does seem to come alive on a weekend as I realised last night.

Some of the highlights and the lessons from it in the last 10 days.

Lesson one: Sexually starved perverts can be your worst nightmare as colleagues. Stay as far as you can from them.
Lesson two: If there are any dependencies in your work make sure you either put them in place or cut them short.
Lesson three: Whenever things are not happening and you are skeptical if at all they'll happen, term that as "Work in Progress" and say that you are trying instead of owning up the responsibility.
Lesson four: Unhealthy competition sucks but its prevelant everywhere.
Lesson five: Take the gatekeepers into confidence and your work will flow smoothly.
Lesson Six ... Last but not the least ..its not a lesson but reaffirmation of what I seriously believe .. One can find most incompetent people at the most important of chairs!
And thus, most of the companies succeed not because they have the best of the people, but perhaps because the others have the dumbest of them.
So end my ten days in Pune. I don't know how I survived without net, without sleep, without books, without music, with only me and the work. But I did. Hope I don't have to give another survival test.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(a wicked glint)
Loved every bit of this Abhi.Smiles!
a) you made someone fool, as far as If I could extend that thin sliver of knowledge across the fence. How many more mortals faced that same kind of wrath....have no clue!
b)cheers to your learnings and am sure, one fine day, you may get that much coveted position of driving someone else mad, yet being an intelligent boss
c)Key Movements Manager?
d)umm, no wonder, there is an overwhelming presence of the city in Miss India aspirants/Contestants/leggy lasses
now moving over to lessons:

Lesson one: the most loathable crowd.yes,stay as far as you can from them
Lesson two: agree with you again
Lesson 3,4,5: Sure.
Lesson 6 :An irritable reality