Friday, June 1, 2007

The first rains ..

Finally some respite from the Mumbai heat. And its raining. The sky was painted occasionally with vivid descriptors in form of lightening. Reminds me of my childhood when I used to chuckle at thunderclaps. When i'd stare out of the window and eagerly note the lag between the lightening and the thunder. Trying to predict rain to my mom by looking at the colour of the clouds. Or wonder how close the cloud is by the decibel level of the thunder and how quickly it came. And then dance in the rain to feel the heat wilt and the dust settle and the soul melt. And then one day I wrote ...

मत कोसो बारिश की बूंदों को,
आंसू छुपाने का अच्छा बहाना हैं,
कल की किसको खबर,
आज सावन की रौ में बह जाना है

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Umm, reading clouds to predict how close the little town is to the Wheels of rain! interesting!
the wide gap blinks, most times, between the "anticipation of sweet wetness in the ambinece" and "the stubborn heat persists on to suppress"...
reminded me of a piece of conversation when someone told me about the type of clouds....the moment stayed on in me!

....Like Rain it sounded till it curved
And then I new 'twas Wind --
It walked as wet as any Wave
But swept as dry as sand --
When it had pushed itself away
To some remotest Plain
A coming as of Hosts was heard
It filled the Wells, it pleased the Pools
It warbled in the Road --
It pulled the spigot from the Hills
And let the Floods abroad --
It loosened acres, lifted seas
The sites of Centres stirred
Then like Elijah rode away
Upon a Wheel of Cloud.....Emily!

my weather report on "First rains" is more of Pedestrian by nature