Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Expressions

Yesterday I created a post and then deleted it. Reason? Well I didn't like it. It just didn't make me feel as if there was conviction behind it. As my friend put, it felt like having been created for the sake of it. And thus I got the idea of this post on "Expressions".

What is an expression ? Is it a form that we give to a thought or an idea? Or is it just a way of communication? A mix of the two? Or something completely different? This we can perhaps leave to the interpreters interpretation.

More important perhaps is the need of expression for ourselves. Sometimes when we look at ourselves in mirror it is our expression that we see more than we the person as we are. And it is our expression that scares us or makes us happy or makes us sad about it. But that expression in mirror is undiluted and is beyond our controls. The written expression comes with that advantage and disadvantage both. Advantage that it gives us a chance to alter the expression in the way we would want. If we are connected to ourselves, our honesty will reflect in it and our expression can be that much closer to our true selves. And yet at the same time the control that we can exercise in it leaves it susceptible to the way we want to be looked at as.

But then just the way a river looks best in its natural flow, poetry in motion, the poetry of words would also be best in its unbridled form. Yet people are also scared of putting down their thoughts in words. Some think that they are not good at it, some think that they are not good at words and yet there are others who are scared to do so. They feel that the lack of that control which can induce the adultery leaves there true self exposed to the world. This fear I wonder is good for one or bad ? Or is it wrong altogether to measure this in terms of good or bad. After all at the end of the day it is a person's individual choice whether he wants to feel vulnerable or remain unseen from the eyes of the world.

What is that I express for? I make attempts to give a tangible form to my thoughts and ideas. For I fear the moment when they may get lost. It is an instrument for me to be closer to myself and my real self. Losing ones individuality could be one of the worst things that could happen to someone. And my writing reminds me of what I am? The good, the bad and the ugly as well. A blank paper is a better mirror for me than that made of silicon. The poetry of words more alluring then a poetry in motion. The black and white of words better than grey of the world. The fonts of alphabets more revealing than the clothes of a sensuous lady. The commas and full stops more reminding then a thousand roadblocks. The prologues and epilogues more interesting then beginnings and ends. And the journey of life is best covered in words then any dam that captures the rivers ...

And hence my expressions ... expressions to myself .. my messages to my own heart .. my own logic thrown back to my brain .. To ask .. to argue .. to fight .. to change .. to stay .. to move and to stop .. to admire and to hate .. to expect and to let go ..

Thus the journey of expressions of a foolish soul ...

No comments: